Friday 3 April 2020

Collaborative Teaching and Learning

What is visible teaching and learning?


Presentor: Dorothy Burt

The definition for visible áccording to the Oxford dictionary, 'that can be seen.
The Manaiakalani programme's pedagogy and kaupapa is teaching and learning is visible.  There are no barriers for learners, setting everyone up for success!  This means teachers and colleagues need to ensure their practice is visible  - planning, learning outcomes, feedback and feedward for their students, whanau and colleagues.

It is important the learning journey is completely visible!

Dorothy emphasised the use of digital technology so young people can learn how to be successful and practise this lifelong skill.
Google web sites are a fantastic online tool for young people and colleagues to access learning.

Google web sites  are...

  • mobile                                                    
  • visible
  • accessible
  • connected
  • rewindable learning
  • authentic 
Learn Create Share  according to McNaughton, Jesson, Wilson 2018

Kerry Boyde-Preece did a deep dive on Multi Modal - an inclusive approach to teaching in a digital environment. The key concepts of this presentation was:

  • engagement
  • personalised learning
  • acceleration
  • empowering
You need ....
  • a great bag of tricks!
  • limit the links
  • back it up with sound pedagogy
  • get your learners on task - behaviour & cognitively
  • access authentic texts and modes
Your class site is an excellent opportunity to present multi modal learning and multi textual.
I enjoyed the opportunity to view a range of Google web sites that teachers had created.  I certainly saw sites that were creative with their presentations both visually and with a range of authentic learning tasks.  
My next learning opportunity was to make two Google web sites.  With the outstanding support from Hannah West she expertly supported me to make a site.  Once again we were in small collaborative meet groups to brainstorm our topic.  We stayed in these groups whilst we made our sites.  

I will be practising and editing my site, especially the positioning of information so it looks professional and eye-catching.  This will be my focus this week!











I have also been practising my website skills in my role as Learning Support Coordinator.
Blog Etiquette & Tips
I have also learnt that there is 'Blog Etiquette,' I had no idea!  If someone comments on my blog I need to reply.  I also learnt you need to push the publish button after you have replied!
I will also be deep diving into Blog Tips this week!

A fantastic day of digital learning!
Credit to all the Manaiakalani facilitators.





2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Vicki,
    Great to hear it was a fantastic day of learning.
    I agree that practicing on your site is a good way to go. I would also encourage you to publish and share the link for your site on your blog so as to get feedback. Don't wait till it is 'finished'. The difficultly with that thinking, I find, is that is will never be good enough, never be finished... Just do it!
    Ngā mihi nui,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria I have just realised that I hadn't published it. Thanks for the feedback.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete