Thursday 12 March 2020

So Much Learning....

Hangouts 

My first Google hangout - the presenter was Lenva Shearing from Manaiakanai programme. The focus of this hangout was talking about 'Effective Teaching'.  To be able to recognise, amplify and turbocharge - this effective practice.  Learning in a digital environment is liken to 'swimming in the digital ocean', Lenva Shearing.  


The Manaiakalani programme is evidence based progamme.    It is esssential that there is the infrastructure and pedagogy needs to be parallel in order to successfully move from an analogue to a digital world.
The learning in this lesson was in giant leaps, I can easily see Google hangouts being a very effective tool to be used in my role as 'Learning Coordinator'.  This can be used for professional conversations as well as supporting and communication with families and the wider community.   The statement ' Technology opens doors for learning' is a powerful statement and embraces face to face sharing of ideas.

Setting up a Google hangout was another essential part of my learning.  Using my Google calendar to set the time, date and inviting guests to the hangout was an effective and easy way to link everyone.

Google Keep - is effectively like a filing cabinet.  Another wonderful app from Google that I had no idea was available.  I will be using this app especially for saving links, images, readings on the web.  I can even use images that I have held on this app and drag them into Google docs.  This app will be a time-saver!

Chery Torrie one our my facilitators orientated our group around Google calendar.  I do use this in my work environment so I felt quite confident with most of the tools except I learnt about sharing and inviting colleagues calendars.  This will be valuable in my role as a learning coordinator especially as I work across three schools.  The ability to be able to coordinate a meeting or hangout will be an efficient use of my time.

Tab One was another Google app that I learnt about.  This amazing app collects all your tabs and can enable me to sort and collate them together.  I love how I can go into a 'deep dive' and rewind my learning at my own pace in order to embed this new digital tool.

Blog Comments
Blog commenting was a new experience and skill that I need to practise.  I was fortunate to practise in a small group with my peers, this is an area I need to practise!


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Vicki,
    I see your blog post will be a valuable resource in the future as you can go back and remind yourself what you learnt. Have you considered including links to the tools you mention on your blogpost?
    I love the idea that you can rewind the deep dive and use in the future - spot on.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Vicki,
    I know how you feel about Keep. It is a life saver because it is integrated into the other Google Apps.
    Hangouts might become very important to us in the close future with #remotelearning a possibility.
    It was great working with you in day #2.
    Mā te wā
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete